The wgms Glacier app provides access to monitoring data depicting older and recent developments of glaciers worldwide, their size, elevation, and their changes in length and volume. Photographs of glaciers and graphs of their development give insights into the glaciers’ reaction to climate and into monitoring programs that document them. The compass and a card game are a fun way to increase your understanding and knowledge of glacier distribution and changes.
Map search for glaciers:
- map function with satellite images as background
- clickable glacier points and clusters
- basic orientation map for offline use
Text search for glaciers:
- find glaciers by name, country, mountain region
- filter your search result by type of observation, growing and shrinking glacier status
Detailed view of glaciers:
- photographs for many glaciers
- detailed information on every single glacier: length, area, minimum and maximum elevation
- graphs showing monitoring results for different observation types
- explanations of the observation methods
- information on the latest investigators and their institutions
- save your favourite glaciers in a separate list
- real-time compass that shows the glaciers around you in every direction
reaching up to 2000km, showing clickable results
- Card game to test your knowledge against the computer
The GlacierApp allows you to explore all available glacier change information using a map browser, a text search, a compass, or by playing the glacier card game.
wgms ist located at the Department of Geography of the University of Zurich (UZH).