The application currently includes 5 sign language alphabets. These are the American Sign Language (ASL), British Sign Language (BSL), French Sign Language (LSF), Greek Sign Language (GSL) and South African Sign Language (SASL).
Despite the fact that there are various mobile service packages for Deaf people, these can still prove to be costly. SSMS main aim is to provide are more cost effective method of communication. SSMS makes use of graphical messages (hand shapes, signs) that are charged at normal SMS rates instead of MMS rates. The rates for sending an SSMS depend on the standard SMS rates of your cellular provider.
The application also aims to bridge the gap between Deaf and Hearing cultures. By allowing Deaf and Hard-of Hearing users to send and receive messages in their mother tongue, communicating can be more effective and pleasant. The translation feature allows hearing users to convert sign language messages into plain text.
• On-screen sign language alphabet keyboard.
• Receive and send messages in plain text and sign language.
• Translate sign language messages into plain text messages and vice versa.
• Message in Motion (MiM) to view sign language messages in motion. The speed of the motion can be set to improve viewing experience.
• Two different background themes. Based on research, the high-contrast black and yellow background theme should be more appealing to Deaf users. The second theme is a low-contrast grey background theme.
• Learning mode to view both sign language and plain text simultaneously in a message.
• Learn a sign language alphabet
• Set the size of the sign language and plain text characters
Please let us know if you find any bug in the application. We appreciate all the feedback that you have to offer and hope you enjoy the application.