Pusad gets its name from River Pus, as the town is located on bank of river Pus. Pusad falls under Yavatmal district. Pusad is known as "Educational City" Because it has many schools and colleges from long time when it was uncommon in the surrounding area. Although officially a Taluka place, Pusad is comparable to the size of a District in terms of size and revenue. A proposal of declaring Pusad a district officially is under procedure at the moment.
Pusad is located at 19°54′N 77°35′E / 19.9°N 77.58°E. It has an average elevation of 315 metres (1033 feet).
Pusad is surrounded by hills from almost all the sides and is at little lower elevation than these hills. The name of the city originates from the name of the adjoining river called Pus Nadi. Pus nadi is lifeline of the city and also a source of drinking water and irrigation water. Pusad is also believed to be derived its name from its ancient name "Pushpawanti Nagari".
As of 2001 India census, Pusad had a population of 67,152. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Pusad has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 80%, and female literacy is 72%. In Pusad, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Pusad's climate is extreme with the temperatures going as high as 49 degree Celsius in summers and as low as 5 degree Celsius in winters. Experts believe this due to a phenomenon called as "Basket Effect".
Pusad has many notable institutions and colleges as well as reputed schools. The leaders and visionaries in town realized the importance of education and established several institutes in the city.
- B.N. College of Engineering: It was a first technical institute in the region.
- Dairy Technology College: One of the few colleges in India who offers UG degree for Dairy Technology.
- Ayurvedic Mahavidyalaya: Medical College with degrees and diplomas offering in Ayurvedic Medical Science.
- N.P.H. Polytechnic: Technical institute offering Diploma in Engineering.
- Sudhakarrao Naik Institute of Pharmacy College: Offers Ph.D, Post Graduates Degree, Under Graduates Degree and Diploma Course in the field of [Pharmacy/ Pharmaceutical Sciences]
- Phulsing Naik Mahavidyalaya, B.Sc,B.com,B.A,11th(science,arts,commerce) 12th(science,arts,commerce,)
- Koshatwar Daulatkhan High School: Oldest school in the city completed its 100 years recently which offers education from standard 5th to 12th & the sports education also.
- Other many institutes are also there offering various courses in fields of Arts, Science, Commerce and other.
Pusad is connected to major cities in the Maharashtra State by the roadways. The MSRTC buses runs from Pusad to Washim, Hingoli, Yavatmal, Nanded, Solapur, Nagpur, Pune, Mumbai, Amravati, Akola, Aurangabad, Raipur Adilabad and Indore.
In the British era, Pusad was connected to nearby towns with Railway. However, due to unknown reasons, British rule discontinued the service. Pusad is being considered as a future station halt for Wardha-Nanded railway halt.
Nanded is nearest railway station to Pusad. Shri Guru Gobind Singhji airport Nanded is nearest airport to Pusad. And Dr. Babashaheb Ambedkar international airport Nagpur is nearest international airport to Pusad City.