The description of Intelli Cards
Intelli Cards is an intelligent flash card application that allows people to study a variety of topics, using simple multi staged flash cards. The app learns how well the user is doing on each card, and selects cards based on their performance. The user can create custom flash card sets of any type. With mobile phones, you can study on your way to work or school, while riding the bus or train, or while sitting in your living room.
We use an intelligent algorithm for deciding which cards will come up next. It is tailored to your results and your preferences. You can rest assured that the flash card application will ensure that you study effectively, and efficiently, by regularly bringing up the cards that you are having trouble with. Initially the system starts out randomly, but learns how you are doing, and adjusts accordingly. If you've ever used any of the flash card apps on the market, you'll be surprised at this "step up" in flash card learning.
Summary of features
- intelligent card selection
- speaking in the language of your choice using Android's text-to-speech capability. This is particularly useful if you are creating a flash card of foreign words for language study.
- simple spreadsheet (CSV) import files
- XML import format for customized import files. Very useful for use at Universities that could publish card sets for their students.
- automatic daily or hourly backups to SDCARD
- sharing card sets via email, bluetooth, etc.
- csv and xml format association for automatic opening from email, or file browsers
You may create your card sets by using the CSV spreadsheet format, and copying the spreadsheet to your android device (in CSV format), via email, bluetooth, or a host of other methods. Usually this is done by choosing to "Save As..." from the File menu of your favourite spreadsheet application. A complete example can be found in our sample CSV file for studying french dates, times, and seasons. We also have a page describing the expected format of the spreadsheet.
Unfortunately, we are still early in development, and we do not have some important features such as...
- editing of a set of cards from within Android itself. I primarily built this app to study French. I wanted something that worked well from my PC, as most of my words are typed into the computer, and uploaded to the device. As a result, it wasn't yet a priority for me to add an editing feature.
- we currently only allow imports, from within the app, to come from the "sdcard/ca.climbingvine.flashcard/files/import" directory, unless you open the file using a file manager, or an email client. We may eventually add the ability to navigate the file system.
- choices on what to export, such as the pass counts or the failed counts.
- images in the spreadsheets.
For more information, with a detailed technical explanation, please visit our website at http://www.climbingvine.ca/flash-card.html