Fishless Cycle provides several utilities that help make this process effortless:
• A set-up guide for new aquariums. Contains a list of recommended and optional items to purchase, tools for calculating dosage amounts and advice on how to conduct your first readings.
• Monitor several aquariums simultaneously. Quickly find useful information on when the next dosage is due, and customise each tank with a name and photo.
• Track the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate over time with both graphs and tables.
• Set reminders to notify you when your next aquarium dosage is due.
• Place a reminder widget on your home page and customise it with an image of your favourite aquarium.
Cycling is the process by which newly purchased aquariums develop colonies of bacteria that can turn ammonia, a toxic chemical present in fish waste, into the less harmful nitrate, which can be removed with water changes.
Traditionally, cycling involved placing hardy fish into the aquarium and allowing bacteria to grow naturally from the ammonia present in their waste. Placing fish into such an environment however would inevitably cause distress; this could shorten their lifespans or even cause death.
A Fishless Cycle builds these bacteria colonies by dosing the aquarium with an artificial ammonia source at regular intervals. This is much more humane, controlled and can save money on lost fish.