- NO ads
- Both native android 5.0+ (material design) and android 4.0+ (holo) look. And if you like the other better, you can always switch (scroll down for settings) ;-)
- Full offline functionality, including a powerful search engine including a topical index
- The Bible is a collection of real, actual books and letters. It's not some abstract literary work and should not be read like one. Therefore by default - in reading mode - this app does not show chapter and verse numbers.
- No pesky notifications or other wannabee features.
- (And as the icing on the cake: no permissions (were!) required, right now the custom font selection option does require an internet connection, this however is hopefully a temporary solution)
Not everything is great and perfect though, the app was also build a technology prototype/showcase and as such will RUN BADLY ON OLDER DEVICES!!! I hope to make it better through the years and during the past year it has gotten a lot better, but there is still a long way to go.
With Android Lollipop Google introduced an entire new look for Android called Material Design. Although they also introduced a toolkit (Polymer) that should help in making cross platform apps look in the new Material Design look, a quick Polymer demo I made of this app in the Material Design look run extremely slowly. Either way, I ended up making a new version myself integrating both the old Holo look and the new Material Design look and I am quite happy with the result. And yes, I used the word "Material Design" so that people searing for "Material Design Bible" or "Android 5 Bible" will be more likely to find this result. Sorry, the tips & tricks below might be more useful to read ;-)
Tips & Tricks:
- At the bottom of the book list there is a setting panel
- Long press on bible books to get a pericope list
- Drag along the right side of the screen whilst reading a book to quickly navigate through chapters, next slide left without letting go to go to a specific verse.
- Sometimes the search functionality will not index the Bible correctly and get stuck at 100%... I have seen this happen twice (out of tens and tens of re-installs), so if it happens to you, feel free to contact me, but so far a quick re-install has always fixed the issue for me.