X509Tools was created on top of a proof of concept to provide S/MIME capabilities and X.509 certificate support to Android. It supports the decryption of S/MIME encrypted attachments (smime.p7m) and can send encrypted (and signed) emails. Please note that this is not an email client, the App only decrypts messages received by other mail clients or sends mails over SMTP.
X509Tools has an interface for external email clients - we are looking forward to integrate this to K9 etc.
For more information visit http://rundquadrat.at/x509tools
The application needs following permissions:
* Full Internet Access - required to send emails over SMTP
* Modify/Delete SD card content - required to access private keystore and write logs
* Read Email Attachments - required to read smime.p7m attachments if your are using K9 email client
* Read Contacts - required to suggest email addresses from your contacts if sending plain or signed
The application is split into two parts:
* The "Certificate Store" allows you to show the system certificate root store and manage your own personal store. In your personal store you can import keys (*.p12, *.pfx) and certificate (*.cer, *.crt, *.pem, *,p7s) of contacts you want to send encrypted mails to.
* The "S/MIME" part allows you to decrypt smime messages and send encrypted emails. Since this is not an email client use your preferred one and simply open the smime.p7m attachment to decrypt it with X509Tools (the application opens attachment with the mime-type "x-pkcs7-mime").
To provide this features we recompiled parts of bouncycastles crypto libraries and javamail for android, which lead to size of 1.3 MB.
Although the program is fully functional its still in development. So please help us to fix problems or add new features by sending request/bugreports to [email protected] A log file is written to /sdcard/x509tools/ to help us reproduce you issues. If you got decryption error please send us an equivalent encrypted mail (Cert: http://rundquadrat.at/selbitschka.crt) that we can debug this issue.