VisualCues is an AAC application that assists toddlers and children with speech delays in making choices, based on a successful tool used in special education classes, and my home. A parent or caregiver can choose from one to three cues for the child to pick which are then displayed on a cue board. Once the child picks a cue a sentence is then spoken which is customized based on the cue's category, for example if the cues title is Piano, the speech will say "I picked the piano". The photos for the cues can be obtained either by using the built in camera function or imported via the apps downloads gallery. In developing VisualCues I tried to keep it as simple and intuitive as possible, feel free to suggest features, and of course report any bugs or questionable behavior.
- Cues created with custom photos from either the camera or imported via downloads.
- After choice has been made shaking the device will reset the choice board.
- Text To Speech plays sentence based on cue category followed by cue name.
- Built in crop utility with set aspect ratio assures all images are same dimensions.
- Cues are displayed alphabetically, and can be placed in categories for easy navigation.
- After choice is made Large text accompanies image to connect the word, with the item, with the vocalization.