When SmartAVC™ arrives in the near future, for the first time you will be able to hear speech, games, and music clearly and easily on your phones and other audio devices ANYWHERE, even where it’s noisy. SmartAVC™ automatically adjusts the volume of a phone to maintain constant intelligibility of speech in a changing noise background.
It’s easy and fun to use this app. Shout, whistle, sing, clap and make any other ‘background noises’ into your phone, and listen to how SmartAVC™ compensates by smoothly and gracefully adjusting the volume of the recorded voice to maintain its intelligibility. SmartAVC™ is truly an auditory luxury!
As a commercial feature on a phone, SmartAVC™ will never need to be tuned. For tuning this demo on your particular phone, this professional version of the SmartAVC™ demo has three slide bars: ‘Volume,’ ‘Scale,’ and ‘Offset.’ The ‘Volume’ slide bar controls the volume of the audio clip in a quiet environment. The ‘Scale’ and ‘Offset’ slide bars are for tuning. The slide bar settings cannot be changed until you first stop the demo.
1. Set the ‘Volume’ slide bar to the lowest level at which you can hear the audio file with complete intelligibility in a quiet room.
2. Set the ‘Offset’ all the way to the left (to –100).
3. Guess a ‘Scale’ setting.
4. Run the demo for a few seconds with no background noise; then stop it.
5. Change to about the suggested ‘Offset’ setting shown on the screen, and start the demo again. The suggested setting is an unreliable ballpark estimate only. A higher ‘Offset’ will make SmartAVC™ more sensitive and more responsive to increases in background noise. A lower ‘Offset’ will make it less sensitive and less responsive.
6. Make a steadily increasing noise into the phone. If the volume rises too quickly or stays high too long (because of feedback), repeat the procedure from Step 2 with a lower ‘Scale’ setting. If the volume does not seem to change much at all, repeat the procedure from Step 2 with a higher ‘Scale’ setting.
7. When tuned properly, the recording should get louder smoothly and proportionately to the noise, and there should be a big change in volume from quiet to loud. If not, try a lower volume setting or use headphones for a stunning feedback-free demonstration of SmartAVC™, the World's Smartest Automatic Volume Control(SM).
SmartAVC™ will perform better on a phone during an actual phone call than this demo app performs for two reasons. First, feedback will not affect the performance of SmartAVC™ during a phone call, because the voice coming out of the speaker does not reenter the microphone input signal path. (The user’s own voice inactivates SmartAVC™ while his voice remains above a threshold volume.) Second, the amplifier volume will be continuously adjustable, rather than being limited to the discrete steps of the global media volume.
© Copyright 2011 by Starmark, Inc.
U.S. Patents 7,760,893, 7,908,134, and patents pending.
SmartAVC™ is a trademark of Starmark, Inc.