The RS-MS3A is an Android device application designed to expand the DV mode capability of a D-STAR transceiver using a Terminal or an Access Point mode.
These modes enable D-STAR operations by sending signals from the D-STAR transceiver over the Internet, even when that transceiver is out of range of a D-STAR repeater. The transceiver sends your voice signals using a Wi-Fi Internet, 3G, or LTE network, through an Android device.
1. Terminal mode
By operating the D-STAR transceiver through the Android device, you can contact other D-STAR transceivers.
In the Terminal mode, the transceiver will not transmit an RF signal, even if [PTT] is held down, because the microphone audio signal is transmitted through a Wi-Fi, 3G, or LTE network.
2. Access Point mode
In this mode, the D-STAR transceiver functions as a Wi-Fi access point.
The D-STAR transceiver repeats the received signal from the Android device, to other D-STAR transceivers.
Refer to the instruction manual (PDF) for setting details. The instruction manual can be downloaded from the ICOM web site.
1 Android 4.0 or later
2 Touch screen Android device
3 USB On-The-Go (OTG) host function
4 Public IP address
[Usable transceivers] (As of Aug. 2016)
ID-51A or ID-51E (“PLUS2” only)
• An OPC-2350LU data communication cable is also required.
• This application operates on Android devices as a gateway server on the D-STAR system. Therefore, a public IP address must be set on either the Android device or the Wi-Fi router.
• Ask your mobile carrier or ISP for a public IP address. According to the contract, communication charges and/or communication packet limits may occur.
• Ask your mobile carrier, ISP, or manufacturer of your Android device or router about public IP setting details.
• ICOM does not guarantee the RS-MS3A will function with all Android devices.
• Turn OFF the Wi-Fi function when communicating through a 3G or LTE network.
• The RS-MS3A may not be usable due to conflicts with other applications installed on your Android device.
• The RS-MS3A may not be usable, even if your Android device supports the USB OTG host function.
• Depending on your Android device, the power that is supplied to the USB terminal may be interrupted while in the display sleep mode or the power saving mode. In that case, remove the “Screen timeout” check mark on the Application Setting screen of the RS-MS3A. Set the sleep function on your Android device to OFF, or to the longest time period.
• Operate your transceiver with the RS-MS3A in compliance with appropriate regulations.
•ICOM recommends that you operate them with a club station license.