This novel is set in Northern England during George III's reign. The book details the various experiences throughout the life of the title character, Jane Eyre. This includes growing up to become an adult and her feelings for Mr. Edward Rochester.
Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre novel has 38 chapters which include five main stages in the life of Jane. These stages are as follows:
1. The childhood of Jane Eyre at Gateshead Hall. During this time she suffers various forms of abuse from her cousins and aunt.
2. Jane's positive and negative experiences at Lowood School.
3. Jane Eyre;s experiences as governess of Thornfield Hall. This is where Jane falls in love with Mr. Edward Rochester.
4. Life with the the Rivers family.
5. Marriage to Mr. Rochester.