App features include:
• A choice of the four FMLA measuring periods: Rolling Backward, Forward from first day of leave, Calendar Year, Fixed 12 Month Leave Year.
• Ability to factor in work stoppage periods during leave requests.
• Ability to factor in the number of hours per week and the days each week that the employee works.
• Calculation of any accumulated leave that accrues during a leave period.
• Other various interface and usability upgrades.
The app then reports:
• Number of days of leave available
• When the employee should return to work based on the new leave request
• How much leave the employee has remaining after the current leave request is completed. If leave has been exhausted at the time of this request, it will indicate such
The HR professional or other manager using the app can then email the information directly to the employee who requested the leave. Of course, further documentation to the employee should be provided as required by the FMLA.
The app is extremely easy to use and very intuitive. In just seconds a manager is able to see how much FMLA leave an employee has available, when an employee should return to work after the current leave request and how much FMLA leave they still have remaining if any.
Fisher & Phillips LLP is a national law firm focused on assisting employers with labor and employment matters, including issues around government-required leaves of absence. www.laborlawyers.com
The FMLA Leave App should not be construed as or relied upon for legal advice. The Family and Medical Leave Act is a complicated law and it is difficult to anticipate the various circumstances that may arise in handling requests for leave. The contents are intended for general information purposes only and are only able to calculate leaves in limited circumstances. You are urged to consult counsel concerning your own situation and any specific legal question you have.