The description of ZXUDGedit
The default Spectrum UDG area can only store 21 characters (and only 19 in 128K mode). Of course, you can load the binary file anywhere you want to in the Spectrum memory so you can have more than 21 characters if you want them! (don't forget to CLEAR the RAMTOP, but people who might try this will already know about that). This app does not set a limit of the number of graphics that you can create.
The app requires granting of the Files permission... don't worry! All the app is doing is creating a folder called \_zxudgs and reading/writing files there. It does not affect any other files.
Use the PICK button to edit UDGs in memory, DELETE to select a UDG for deletion and SAVE to save the graphics to a binary file.
Possible future improvements:
- Improve UI / button layout - make OK buttons larger, increase distance between these and other buttons. Making something that works well and looks good on all Android devices can be tricky though...
- Better presentation of the UDGs in the Pick/Delete options.
- Delete all UDGs from memory? (can do this anyway in 3 presses, just exit the app and re-open)
- Let user choose file locations/names ? e.g. SD card support?-
- Maybe a "lite" version for people who don't like installing apps with the Files Write permission, maybe just with the decimals and a better way to display all of the UDGs and their decimal values. Could support email/Bluetooth as an alternative to file creation on device.
- Allow "scratchpad" viewing of UDGs above/below/side of each other ? Could have a touch drag-and-drop that shows the graphics and allows the user to drag them, placing them adjacently...fairly easy to imagine with just 21 UDGs but could be difficult with hundreds of graphics. Maybe INK/PAPER/BRIGHT attributes too! Although usually it's better to see these running on the Spectrum itself.
Overkill "stretch" goals
- Sampled Spectrum style beeps to notify of UDG additions
- Spectrum font used throughout app
- Animate graphics to see how well they work in frames (getting silly now?!!...)
Easier graphics manipulation (flip, invert, shift, rotate)
- ZXUDGedit 1.02 for Android 4.0.3+ APK Download
Version: 1.02 (3) for Android 4.0.3+ (Ice Cream Sandwich MR1, API 15)
Update on: 2017-06-30
APK File SHA1: f018a6bc7446fefa7a0c84055848374ddc3056f2
What's new: File loading Easier graphics manipulation (flip, invert, shift, rotate More...