TransLegal’s Law Dictionary is the definitive dictionary of law for non-native speakers of English. It is the only dictionary of law designed specifically to help lawyers and law students working in English as a second language.
A British or U.S. lawyer looking up the word “decree” might want to know the difference between a “decree in equity” and a “judgment at common law” (something relevant only to the common law system). Lawyers who are non-native speakers of English will most often want to learn other things like how to use the word in a sentence, how to pronounce the word or what common mistakes to avoid. They need a learner’s dictionary of law.
• Over 3,000 legal terms
• Over 5, 000 easy to understand definitions
• Sound recordings to aid pronunciation
• Example sentences
• Common mistakes
• Tips on how to use the terms
• Differences in UK and US English highlighted
• Non-US and UK varieties of English also included
• Encyclopaedic entries for many terms
• Flexible search options
• Regular updates
TransLegal’s Law Dictionary is the product of thousands of hours of ongoing research carried out by an expert team of lawyer-linguists.
Every term included in TransLegal’s Law Dictionary has been thoroughly researched to ensure the definitions reflect current usage. This research was carried out with the aid of numerous corpora (collections of texts) and legal documents from a wide range of sources. Each definition has been graded so that it can be understood by learners with a Council of Europe CEFR B1-B2 level of English. Where more complex language has been unavoidable in the definitions, this language has been defined in parentheses.
Advanced dictionary features:
• Powerful search options to find exactly what you need: headword, wildcard, full text search, as well as search for similar words and anagrams.
• Full text search feature allows looking up words more efficiently throughout the whole dictionary content, including headwords, idioms and usage examples.
• Enter the word in your own handwriting with Paragon’s PenReader handwriting recognition software, search by voice using Google Voice recognition service (Available for OS 2.2 and higher) or take a picture of the text and get definition of words with Google Goggles.
• Copy unknown words or phrases and switch back to dictionary – the relevant entry already opened.
• Look up unknown words or phrases from any application (web browser or email) using the Share button. (Available for OS 4.0 and higher).
• English morphology module helps to find words in any grammatical form.
• Audio pronunciations recorded by native.
• Full English linguistic information with declension and conjugation tables.
• Favorite articles to quickly access and revise frequently searched words.
• Dictionary installation on SD card (Available for OS 2.2 and higher).
• Search History to quickly access the last 100 words looked up.
• Hyperlinks between articles and directions.
• Flexible font size settings for your comfort.
• No Internet connection required.
Founded in 1989, TransLegal has grown to become the leader in Legal English, providing a wide range of products and services to the international legal community, including Legal English testing, online Legal English courses and resources, live seminars and training, translation of legal documents and the publication of Legal English materials.