How does Text SOS Alert Work?
- Text SOS Alert is installed on both smartphones and wearable devices that pair to smartphones.
- Provide your emergency contact list.
- In the event of an emergency, repeatedly press the power button 5 times in 10 seconds. Alert triggers are disabled while user is on the phone.
- This will send out an emergency SMS alerts continually to your emergency contact list along with your GPS location.
- To stop the emergency alerts, open the app and press the green "Stop Alerting" button.
We have tested Samsung Gear Fit™, Motorola Moto 360™ and LG G Watch R™. It has not been tested but it may work with LG G Watch™, Samsung Gear Live™, Asus ZenWatch™ and Sony SmartWatch 3™.
The project site is available through Github where contact information can be found. https://textsosalert.com/#!/privacy
Before you use Text SOS Alert you will need to accept the End User License Agreement (EULA). Here are some important terms to consider:
1. Text SOS Alert makes no guarantees that emergency distress messages will reach designated contacts. Since network connections and device configurations can vary there is no way to ensure Text SOS Alert will always work as intended.
2. Text SOS Alert cannot guarantee that emergency contacts will send help. Text SOS Alert is not an emergency response service but rather a means of sending messages to a list of three emergency contacts.
3. Text SOS Alert is not the preferred nor exclusive emergency contact method and only used as a last resort. In cases where making a telephone call is impossible, Text SOS Alert is a contingency plan.
4. Text SOS Alert cannot guarantee against false alarms being triggered. Text SOS Alert takes safety measures to guard against unintentional triggering of the distress signals by requiring a minimum of 5 button presses. Text SOS Alert cannot be held liable for people abusing this technology to generate intentional false alarms. Such capabilities already exist with conventional SMS, where a user can knowingly send false alarms from text messages. The end user is thus held responsible for misuse.
5. Text SOS Alert makes an effort to provide distress trigger services on wearable devices. Text SOS Alert does not guarantee these services will indeed work. For the distress trigger services to work, Bluetooth services must me enabled on the phone. There is no way to activate bluetooth services from the wearable devices.
6. Text SOS Alert makes no guarantees or warranties regarding the user experience and bugs. Use this app at your own risk.