It's in beta and unfortunately not currently undergoing further development.
Unlike a lot of similar apps, Text My Location doesn't rely on Google Maps. It displays locations using any good map app* – and if you've got offline mapping, no internet connection is needed at all!
Ideal for outdoor activities, meeting up with people and more.
Once you've received someone's location, display it either:
• in this app in a variety of formats (including British national grid)
• or on a map using your favourite mapping app*
The other person doesn't even need this particular app: because it uses the GeoSMS standard, any other app that supports the standard can communicate with this one. More information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoSMS
Text My Location requires some permissions:
• GPS location and SMS for obvious reasons,
• contacts to display the sender's name on texts,
• internet to support development with ads, and
• in-app purchases to allow you to remove ads for a small fee.
* It works with any mapping app that supports Android's standard inter-app communication of locations. Popular supported apps include: Google Maps, OsmAnd, Locus Maps, Offline Maps (by elderorb), MAPS.ME and more.
This app uses some elements from CC-BY scripts by Chris Veness of Movable Type Ltd (these scripts are © 2005-2014 Chris Veness). http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong-gridref-v1.html http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong-convert-coords.html