Design tips for a small balcony
Just because you have a small terrace doesn't mean you don't have the option to decorate it anymore. As long as you have access to your terrace, you still can decorate it and make it look beautiful and have a homey and cozy feeling.
1. You can enjoy a warm breakfast outside on your balcony. How? You can purchase a few outdoor rugs and place them on your balcony however, you have to make sure that the colors of the outdoor rugs that you choose compliment and go with the color of your furniture and the rest of your house. On top of the rug, you can place a small, adorable table with matching small chairs or perhaps even reclining ones so that you can enjoy a hearty breakfast under the sun. You can even use pillows or maybe even a bean bag as chairs on your balcony, however, you have to cover them with plastic whenever you are not using them so that they will not get dirty.
2. If the tiny space on your terrace allows, you may even go shopping for outdoor fountains, however, make sure that you get the one that can fit on your balcony. Having an outdoor fountain on your terrace will make the atmosphere even more comfortable and peaceful, because you can just lay back, close your eyes and listen to the trickling water from your fountain and other forms of nature ring around you.
3. Put a few potted plants on your terrace. Their size depends entirely on you, as long as your balcony will still have some space after you are done decorating it. You can even opt for the plants that can be hung on the wall; this actually is a better option in terms of space. You can even have hanging baskets to further enhance your outdoor design.
Design tips for a large balcony
If you have a large terrace, you can go all out on its design and landscaping because you don't need to worry about the space. However, don't overdo it too much that it will end up looking congested and not beautiful.
1. You can have larger outdoor fountains, however, its size still depends on how big your terrace is.
2. You can also apply the idea of tables and chairs mentioned previously in the tip above, but you don't have to limit yourself to small sizes.
3. Since your terrace is large, don't buy too many outdoor rugs. You may only opt for at two at the most - one for the tables and chairs to rest on and the other you can place in front of the entrance door to the interior of your residence. Again, as previously mentioned, you have to make sure that the colors of the outdoor rugs you choose go well with the colors of the rest of your house.
4. The advantage in having a spacious balcony is you can have larger plants and flowers.
Once you're done decorating, your terrace can even be your open-air lounge whenever you feel like having some fresh air. Fresh air is good for your health, and being able to have a beautiful, nature-friendly surrounding while getting fresh air is a bonus!
SIMPLIFY THE SPACE
A small space will feel larger the less clutter there appears to be. Having lots of individual, free-standing planters and furniture in different styles can make the space feel smaller and more hodgepodge. Pick 2-3 colors to work with and 2-3 textures and repeat those elements in different combinations to make the space feel more harmonious and well designed. I generally chose no more than 2-3 planter styles as well in any small garden
WHY THE LONG SPACE?
Long spaces can be broken up into separate "rooms" to help create a cozier, more intimate feeling. Terraces and decks can easily be divided up by having part of the space used for one task - i.e. dining, and another part for something else, i.e. comfortable lounge seating.