I decided to build the sound lookout app one fine day, when I missed hearing the door bell while sleeping in my bedroom that is seven steps up from the living room in a duplex flat. I thought of putting one of my un-used Wi Fi enabled smartphones to use and enable it to notify another one via Wi Fi and make it play music once it hears the door bell. So one would be Listener which is listening to the door bell and another would be Alerter , which would lie beside me on the bed so that I am awakened by it when it plays the music.
Sound Lookout is a Me-2-Me app !
The sound lookout app will have to be installed on two Wi Fi enabled smart phones, one will act as Listener and another as Alerter. In the settings screen for the Listener, the IP address of the Alerter will have to be set. Most home Wi Fi routers have the capability to set static IP address corresponding to a specific Wi Fi MAC address. The tech savvy folks can update their Wi Fi router settings to assign a permanent IP address to their Alerter smartphone.
Couple of links pointing to how to set permanent DHCP IP Address for certain Wi Fi enabled devices.
TP Link Wireless router
Huawei Wireless Router (Used by Airtel 4G in India)
Following are the scenarios where you can use the app:
1. Be alerted that the door bell has rung while you are listening to music on your headphone in your bedroom.
2. Need to keep small kids engaged ? See how excited they are when they see that clapping near one phone makes another phone play music! You can do this with the app on one phone alone too with the Kids' Toy mode starting version 1.8 of the app.
3. Be alerted to a crying baby sleeping in a room further away while you are watching TV in the living room.
4. Want to scare your friends by sudden music? Checkout the Prankster mode of the app.
5. Use is it as a call bell ! a bedridden person can just clap to alert his caretaker who is away in another room.
6. Use it as a burglar alarm ! Set the app in Listener mode on a smartphone that has an active, call-enabled SIM inside it and ensure that the telephone number setting is filled-in. Set the sound level you want to get alerted for. Once the app detects a sound that is above the set sound level, it will make a telephone call to the number mentioned in the telephone number setting.
7. Want to play a prank on your friends? Keep the phone in a quiet place, like a cupboard for example, after starting the app in the prankster mode. Now ask your friend to get something from the cupboard. See how startled they are once a loud scream is created by the phone as some noise is generated by the friend's actions. To make it even more fun, if you have a blue-tooth enabled speaker connected to the phone, the scream can be even more louder!