alandhar is located at 31.33 N 75.58 E. It has an average elevation of 229 metres (751 feet). The city is located almost 375 km from Delhi, 142 km from Chandigarh and about 90 km from Amritsar. Jalandhar is named after Jalandhara, a demon king who lived in water as his name suggests Jal (water) and andhar (in). It was the capital of Punjab until 1953, when it was replaced by Chandigarh. Others say Jalandhar is derived from the fact that it is located between two rivers Jal and Andhar. During British occupation it was called Jullundur.
History of Courts
Seeds of present courts in Jalandhar were sown by Baron Lawrence. After the First Sikh War (1845-46) Baron Lawrence was made Commissioner of the newly annexed district of Jullundur where he subdued hill cheifs, established courts and police posts and curbed female infacticide and Sati. On the Punjab Board of Administration he abolished internal duties, introduced a uniform currency and encouraged road and canal construction. The Board of Administration set up in 1849 was abolised in 1853. The Punjab was put under Chief Commissioner and under him was appointed Judicial Commissioner. Robert Montgomery was the first Judicial Commissioner. Courts were set up in Punjab soon after annexation. The Judicial Department was set up in the year 1853 to provide the courts with the written law which they could administer.