Imagine you wake up one morning and read a news flash on your smart phone or other mobile device that a major fire threatens your office building. You immediately remember that your organization recently practiced its quarterly disaster preparedness exercise.
This course is designed for practical applications of crisis communication principles. This course will explain what communication problems look like, the different phases of crises, how to deal with them, and how to anticipate crises as part of conducting effective public relations program. It will also explain the role of a crisis communication team and teach you how to write a crisis communication plan.
*WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS*
• Have access to a computer;
• Continuous broadband Internet access;
• Ability/permission to install plug-ins or software (e.g., Adobe Reader or Flash);
• Ability to download and save files and documents to a computer;
• Ability to open Microsoft files and documents (.doc, .ppt, .xls, etc.);
• Competency in the English language;
• Knowledge about the basics of public relations and feel comfortable in writing and producing public relations pieces for traditional news media and social media.
*WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO GET FROM THIS COURSE*
✔ Explain what crisis communication involves;
✔ Describe and identify different types of crisis;
✔ Describe the crisis management stages;
✔ Explain what crisis communication problems look like;
✔ Identify four types of crisis responses;
✔ Explain how to anticipate and make advanced preparations for a crisis;
✔ Describe the role of a crisis management team (CMT);
✔ Explain how to use social media to deal with a crisis;
✔ Explain the role of crisis communication when crafting strategic messages to a target audience;
✔ Describe the risks of using social media;
✔ Explain why social media is useful during a crisis, and describe how to use social media during a crisis;
✔ Describe the function of a crisis communication plan (CCP);
✔ Explain how to design and prepare a CCP;
✔ Explain how to test a CCP;
✔ Explain how to practice writing key messages that tell your company story;
✔ Explain how to incorporate key messages in online and traditional media tools;
✔ Describe how to help management communicate truthful messages; and
✔ Describe how to communicate to various stakeholder groups.
- Lifetime access to 48 lectures and 4 quizzes
- 8+ hours of high quality content
- A community of 500+ people trying to learn the same thing!
- Watch courses on the go: video lectures, audio lectures, presentations, articles and anything inside your course.
- Watch courses in offline: Save courses for offline viewing so you can watch them while you're on a plane or subway!
Instructed By: Saylor Academy | Nonprofit organization
The Saylor Academy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit based in Washington, D.C., that empowers learners to set their own education goals, achieve mastery, and earn twenty-first century credentials within a rich network of peers, educators, and partners.
Install the "Crisis Communication Course" app now and join over 2,000,000 people who are already learning on Udemy.