It's fast, easy to use and private.
It was originally designed for university students to protect against physical and sexual violence. We believe that it's also handy for teenagers, parents, friends and any community seeking to foster healthy relationships and safety.
This is a mobile app that encourages social networking of its users by connecting them with their closest friends in order to assist them in various situations. With the Bonga app, you can connect with your friends to stay close, stay safe and prevent a violent attack before it happens. The app makes it quick and easy to reach your most trusted & closest friends that you choose.
The app allows you to choose your most trusted friends into your safety circle. If you find yourself in a risky or potentially harmful situation, use the app to automatically send an SOS message to your circle. The app is designed for safety. It is fast to use and private. Bonga also connects you to 24h emergency hotline numbers for safety and information. With the app, you will regularly get comprehensive sexual and reproductive health material.
Bonga also seeks to educate the users on dating safely and having healthy relationships.
Possible scenarios where you could use the app;
• You are out on a date and it starts getting uncomfortable. Need a way to excuse yourself? Send a please call me to your safety circle.
• You’re out at a party, you lose your friends or don’t know where you are. It’s risky, send a please fetch me message with your location to your safety circle.
• You like going out and you want to know how you can protect yourself from a violent attacker. Access the information feature on the app.
• You want to help a friend who is in an abusive relationship, but you don’t know how. Use the resources from the information feature.
• In doubt about your sexual and reproductive health? Use the app to access information that will help you stay safe and healthy.
• Are you in a critical situation, use the emergency hotline numbers to call the GBV hotline and get help.
It's the mobile way to look out for each other. A simple tool to prevent violence before it happens.
Bonga is endorsed by the Institute of Gender, Women and Development Studies at Egerton University.
Chowders Loft is a startup company in Kenya that deals with digital design. We build engaging experiences for both screens and print. We create technology that makes sense.