The description of Bathinda Courts
Earlier in the year 1943, the state of Patiala was stated to have three posts of District and Sessions Judges viz. at Patiala, Sunam and Barnala, but the Headquarters of District and Sessions Judge, Barnala, was at Bathinda. District and Sessions Judge, Sunam used to visit Narnaul District quarterly for some days. In that year "Raja Shiv Dayal Singh" was District and Sessions Judge, Patiala and "Shri Kartar Singh Sandhu" was District and Sessions Judge, at Bathinda. In Patiala State, the Courts were of Naib Nazim Faujdari and Naib Nazim Diwani. The Naib Nazim Diwani was under the control of District and Sessions Judge while Naib Nazim Faujdari was under the control of Nazim (now designated as Deputy Commissioner). Till the disturbances of 1947, the court of District and Sessions Judge, Bathinda was stated to be held in "Qila Mubarak" and when in 1947, the charge of "Qila Mubarik" was taken by the Military, the court of District and Sessions Judge, Bathinda, was shifted to the "Muslim High School" and remained there upto the year 1954, when it was shifted to Civil Station, old Court Complex and at that time Shri Kulbhushan was the District and Sessions Judge, Bathinda. Pepsu was formed in 1948 and at that time there were posts of District and Sessions Judges at Patiala, Sangrur, Bathinda, Kapurthala, Barnala and Fatehgarh Sahib with headquarters at Bassi Pathana. There was only one post of Additional District and Sessions Judge at Bathinda with headquarters at Faridkot. In Pepsu State, there used to be the post of Additional District Magistrates which now has been designated as Chief Judicial Magistrates. The post of "Naib Nazim Faujdari" and "Naib Nazim Diwani" were amalgamated into Sub Judges-cum-Judicial Magistrates. The Old building of Judicial Court Complex in which the Judicial Courts were functioning up to 5.3.2010, was constructed by Pepsu Government somewhere in the year 1954 in which some portion of this building was earlier occupied by the Officers of Excise Taxation etc. Under the Govt. Policy for construction of Ultra Modern Judicial Courts Complexes for the convenience of people in the State of Punjab, a proposal was framed for construction of Judicial Courts at Bathinda by dismantling the old Judicial Courts building. The construction of new Judicial Courts Complex, Bathinda, which has three Blocks, namely Block-A, Block-B and Block-C with total covered area of 224000 square feet and with the provision for 18 courts, has been completed. Block-A of courts complex is a four storey building consisting of 14 courts and total covered area is 149000 Square feet. Block B is also a four storey building consisting of Judicial Service Centre (Suvidha Centre), Canteen, Bar Room and space for bank and commercial shops. Block C consists of four newly constructed courtrooms and other rooms. At present this block is a single storey building, with provision for future extension by building new storey above it. The judicial courts have been functioning in the present building (block-A) since 6.3.2010. The provision for separate entries for Public, Employees, Advocates & Judges have been made in this court complex. The Courts Complex at Bathinda is incorporated with the latest facilities and systems which not only benefits litigants, advocates, staff and general public but also helps in smooth & efficient working of Judicial system. All the courts are air conditioned for the convenience of people coming to the courts. In addition to this, provision for Close Circuit T.V. Cameras, Electric Display Panels for showing the case serial numbers which are taken up for hearing in the courts, Electric Generator Set to tackle with problem of Power Cuts, RO system for drinking water for the litigants/staff/advocates, Fire Alarm system, Fire Extinguishers , Mini EPABX Exchange to facilitate the communication network, LAN and Computer Systems, separate parking spaces for Judges, Advocates and Public.