The description of Basement Design Ideas
The basement is the most ignored, neglected and least cared for part of the house. The innovative basement design ideas can give your existing basement a new lease of life incorporating it into the main house.
There are some points that need to be addressed first before starting out on redoing the basement. First is the kind of utility planned for this space. The basement can be used for a variety of purposes. From being a utility room, it can be converted into a den, or an entertainment room, an office room, an additional guest/kids room, or even a workshop.
Basement design ideas can provide additional, functional space to your house. You can either do the job yourself or hire a professional to perform the basement design ideas based on your specifications. Without a careful plan, however, your dream space for the basement can turn into a nightmare on cost and wasted expectations.
Write a List
The first question you must answer is: what do you want to have in your basement? What purpose you want your new basement to serve? Aside from additional space, you can have your workspace in the basement, an entertainment room or even a home gym.
Moreover, a well-designed basement increases the selling price of your property. Whatever your intentions, write a list what you want to have in your basement and set priorities by descending order.
Here are popular basement design ideas to consider:
1. Game Room - Away from the fragile furniture and appliances in the living room, the entire family can finally have a space to gather and enjoy quality time together.
2. Home Office - This is a great alternative for people working at home as the basement area is quieter and normally more conducive for work.
3. Theater Room - With compact design and away from the bedrooms, the whole family can enjoy a theater quality movie experience at home.
4. Home Gym - Family members who seek to be fit do not need to drive anymore to the gym for their workout.
5. Entertainment Area - One of the most exciting designs to have. Friends and guests can be invited to enjoy the cozy ambiance of the entertainment or bar room inside your basement.
6. Storage Space - The basement can be the closet for children's toys, holiday goodies and off-season wardrobes.
Hire Contractor or Not?
Hiring a contractor to do basement remodeling is determined by your budget, set of skills and time and effort that you are prepared to exert for the project. The advantage with hiring professionals, of course, is that they are trained and experienced to finish the job at hand. Hence, make sure to do a background check if your contractor is certified and reliable before hiring him.
Do it yourself basement can save you money if you handle it properly. But it entails that you are capable or willing to learn of such skills as flooring, roofing and plumbing. If you have a fulltime job, bear in mind also that it might take you between two to six months to complete the remodeling. Nonetheless, being able to remodel your basement is fulfilling and gives you greater freedom to accomplish your desired look.
Whether you end up deciding to hire a contractor or not, consult a professional on the get-go. During the planning stages, a professional can give suggestions on the repair works needed, building codes to follow and general idea of the remodeling cost. You can just pay the contractor for his consultation services. But the amount of insights you get in return is definitely valuable.
Basement remodeling is akin to constructing a mini version of your house. You have to consider everything from your general aims for the basement to the specific details such as basement drywall, lighting and flooring space. You have the option to make your basement a space for work or for leisure, or both. The important thing is to remember that careful planning on basement design ideas is perhaps half the battle.