District Court AmritsarDistrict Court Amritsar
DISTRICT COURT AMRITSAR
IncreaseNormalDecreaseCurrent Size: 100%
Select Theme Blue ThemeGreen ThemeOrange Theme
History of Courts
Nodal Officers for video Conferencing.
Free Legal Aid
Cause List (Local)
Statutes and Rules
Right to Information
Judges on Leave
Rules and Regulations
Home > History of Courts
History of Courts
The history of the District court at Amritsar dates back to more than one hundred and fifty years. During the era of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, the famous Sikh Ruler of Punjab, there used to be no written laws or judicial courts and no established authority. Only the chieftains would decide cases as per their whims. The Sadar adulate court (Chief Court) was the sole court in his realm. The annexation of the Punjab by the British was immediately followed by the creation of a Board of Administration in 1849 having power so a Sadar Court of Judicature and a Sadar Board of Revenue. In 1853 it was replaced with a Chief Commissioner, and two Principal Commissioners separately appointed for Judicial and Administrative work. The Judicial Commissioner was the chief Judge of appeal and his Court was the final appellate court. By 1856, the Tehsildars were empowered to exercise the powers of a Subordinate Judge in small court to deal with the suit of which value up to Rs. 300/-. At that time there were 104 small causes, courts and each court had on the average an area of 784 square miles. Thus, the civil courts started function at Amritsar in the year 1856. During the year 1862 itself Honorary Native Magistrate for the disposal of petty criminal cases were appointed at Amritsar and Gujaranwala. During the year 1862, a total of 3117 civil and rent matters were instituted and 3054 case were disposed of leaving the balance at 63.